Come hang out and rock and read with me here...

Come hang out and rock and read with me here...

Monday, November 7, 2011

Tooting Your Own Horn? Don't Blow It!

My girl is home sick today and I am too, but I am being mama and nurse, which I love, even when I'm sick.  Serving and loving when you don't expect anything back, is good stuff. My medicine.  And, I need lots of it.  So, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking… ‘bout giving and serving. Only in secret.  Between only you and God. Without comparison to anyone.  Whether it’s cash at church instead of a check, doing something at home or work or school to help someone. Or a neighbor. Like give a child your full attention. Smile at someone in the grocery store. Sometimes, it’s not doing something that is giving. Am I right?  Like not complaining or not whining when things are really something to whine about. And, trust me?  This has been a year to whine about for me.  Wah!  Can’t help it.  I’m transparent! Okay, you get it. There have been times when I could give much and there have been times when $20 was all I had for the week and gave it for the weak.  Not out of having to, but wanting to. There have been times when I am able to share talents and gifts and my life. And, sometimes? All I have is just time. But, your presence is your best present you can present to someone! PIMP LOL.  Anyways, we know how good it feels to give money or talents publicly and be thanked and it is a good feeling. Encouragement is good. But, wouldn’t it be nice to know people care about you because they just love you and not because of money or things?  Granted, some people might seem to love you less when it appears you are not giving or you have nothing to give.  But, that’s not really love, is it? Just sometimes, to me, it feels like we are blowing horns prior because we want to be announced or feel like we have to. Giving when there’s no drum roll or dun-da-da-dun…you know? Giving when you don’t get anything back, except knowing that God knows. Yes, it is very hard, but it is something that changes our very character and heart of giving over time. Give in secret.  Yes! Like the song by Andy Park says: “In the secret” IS a quiet place! But, it’s then you can hear God…loud and clear.   Shhh…  Can you hear His Smile?  You know, if we always give only after tooting our horns? It may seem like we’re blowing it out the wrong end.  Just sayin’.  Or we have it down to an art.  Where we toot our horn so much that we toot our horn without blowing it!  PIMP LOL.  And, I’m talkin’ for all of us.  So, give it up. And give. In the secret...in the quiet place. Same place we give our prayers. Sounds like a good place to me. Right?  So, like the SuperTramp song says?  “Give A little Bit”! OR! Give a lot. But, give in secret, sometimes.  It’ll blow you away without you blowing any horns.   Have a fun day.  And, don't you ever think I don't never feel like tootin' my own horn.  Toot toot!  Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment