Come hang out and rock and read with me here...

Come hang out and rock and read with me here...

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Just My Lavatory Lava Story!

Was thinking of how when we were kids, they called the bathrooms at school "The Lavatory"!  So, why DO they call bathrooms “The Lavatory”?  It’s not like there are any volcanic eruptions, hot lava, crusty craters, cracks or ashes in there, right? PIMP LOL.  What? Get your mind outta the gutter…umm…I mean, the potty.  I mean,  the volcano!  K!  So, enough potty mouth!  Flush that outta your mind cuz it’s time to put some origins learning in there.  So, here is the origin of lavatory: from the Latin root word lavare means "to wash." or lavator, which means "to launder."  Middle English adopted the word lavatorium, and later lavatory, for the place where one washes.  A pitcher and basin (hand sink), kept in the bedrooms, were used at first.  Then, with the invention of indoor plumbing and the toilet, the need for privacy moved the commode, the tub and hand sink behind closed doors and called it the lavatory!  That explains lava soap.  I will now go wash my mouth out with it!  And, that explains my lavatory lava story!   Remember you can always combine humor or alliteration or other creative ways with learning.  Helps you remember.  And!  Keeps you from getting crusty!  Hope your day erupts with learning and cracks you up!   You will forever associate bathrooms with volcanoes!  And, volcanoes with lavatories!   With Lava, Trace

2 comments:

  1. Groovy ensemble Tracy!
    Very retro & very dainty.
    Rock it girl! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, you always bring me joy... Love you! I love having friends visit at my place... Trace

    ReplyDelete