Come hang out and rock and read with me here...

Come hang out and rock and read with me here...

Friday, August 17, 2012

10x Sugar & 7up! Sweet!

“10x Sugar & 7up! Sweet!” What? When I was 16, I was a senior in high school (1/2 day), then work until 5. Then, cooked supper for our family and had everything prepared to be served, then would leave and pick up my mother who worked long days, go by the bank to make a night deposit, go home and serve, eat and go to my second job until 10. So, everything had to be planned and timed just right. So, we had menus for that reason and for money. We didn’t have a lot of it. So, one night it was fried potatoes, corn, fried cod. Water to drink or if we were lucky, some 7up! Anyways, we had huge glass jars that held all our staples because we came from Pennsylvania and everything here seemed so sticky and buggy. We put everything in containers. With labels. Back to supper… So, I dredged the fish in eggs and then in the flour. Laid them aside with the rest of the prepared meal and left. When we got home, I threw them in the frying pan laid out the rest on the table and we all sat down to eat. Immediately I knew something was off because I am a great cook. But, they all looked kind of funny. Very shocked. Of course, I was the last to sit, so I said, what? They told me to taste it and started laughing hysterically. Guess what? It was sweet! About 10 times sweeter than it should be. I ran to kitchen and showed my mama which jar I used. Sure enough, I grabbed the 10x jar which was right next to the flour jar. Whoops. They both look the same. Should have read it. But, we ate it, anyways. And, laughed. About 10 times more that night. We needed it, too. Times were tough. New recipe for 10x fish. Any kid would eat it. PIMP LOL. So, I say find humor in everything. Even in jars. Life will be 10 times sweeter. Oh! And, just in case you’re wondering, 10x just means that the sugar is ground up very fine. It’s confectioner’s sugar. Sometimes, things look the same on the outside, but the contents are oh so diff. You gotta read the writing on the jar. Oh! And, the 7up bottle? Just an old bottle from dem old days! I just thought the color matched. Now, go have a 10x 7up kind of day. Sweet!   Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment