Come hang out and rock and read with me here...

Come hang out and rock and read with me here...

Sunday, May 27, 2012

THE SHORTEST NIGHT’S SLEEP AFTER THE LONGEST DAY

“THE SHORTEST NIGHT’S SLEEP AFTER THE LONGEST DAY”! So, last night we were watching “The Longest Day” on Netflix and going through some old photographs like I do every month or so to dig up memories to help me recollect any of my past. I love talking about history and memories. Some are hard. Still, some are harder. Anyways, I found a photograph of Sam’s Dad, Poppie, sitting on our porch at the river house right next to the rocker he gave me. I am told it was my fave place to sit and my fave chair. I do remember us all sitting on the porch and his Dad would tell us his real life true war stories from his experience in the 82nd. I could hear him telling us so many things. Oh, not bragging. Not at all. Just sharing his heart. Sort of humbling to me. He would talk about his 2 combat jumps. D-Day. Normandy, where he parachuted in to St. Mere Eglise. Then, Operation Market Garden in to Nijmegen, Holland. Then, fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He also helped to free a concentration camp. Lots of other heroic soldiering and stories from afternoons on the porch. Ahhh…memories. Needless to say, I didn’t sleep much at all last night from remembering these stories. No complaints at all. Even after “The Longest Day’ movie was over, I was still remembering. I had the shortest night’s sleep from thinking about the longest day and my father-in-law and many other memories that flooded in. He so treated me like a daughter. So, after 2 hours of sleep, we went to church, which we were able to do because of Poppie and others like him. Thanks, Poppie and all of you. Honored to know you and have been part of your life. That’s my short story on the longest day and the shortest night's sleep! Seemed fitting to share this story and photo collage this Memorial Day weekend. Oh! And, I'm not sittin' on my rocker next to him cuz I be takin' the photograph! So glad! Miss you Poppie! Oh! And, it won't surprise all of you to know that he was an incredible musician and song writer. I know, right? He came to hear me the first time I ever played guitar and sang at a church after I turned my life over to God. What was the song? Amazing Grace, Of course.     Trace

2 comments:

  1. What a great story. You seem to be able to write about anything, anytime. Love the music below, too.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You could write about anything. Or sing. But to know a real hero! Humbled.

    John G.

    ReplyDelete